“Sulfates have gotten a bad reputation because of marketing and advertising ploys. I personally like to wash my hair with sulfates because it’s the only way my hair actually feels clean!! With that said, I only wash my hair once a week so a really good cleanse needs to happen or else it feels gunky.
I use sulfate free shampoo when my hair needs a little extra love so I do a first wash with a clarifying (sulfate) shampoo. Second shampoo is with sulfate free shampoo.
Now if you wash your hair EVERY day then sulfate free shampoo is very much your friend because it only needs a very gentle cleansing.” - @AshleaMorris
Even if your sensitive, Ashlea and I both agree that a good weekly SLS cleanse can actually remove buildup, clear your scalp, remove dullness and remove pollution.Use SLS when/if:
- You cannot go more that one day without washing
- your hair feels sticky or slimy
- if your hair feels ‘weird’ even right after you wash it
- right after a blow dry your hair is already greasy or flat
- you use hairspray, pomade or anything binding
- Your child is a greasy muffin and old enough to be washing their own hair.
PSA: our little littles don't quite need SLS yet, even if the scalp has a build up. This could be cradle cap- a totally different issue, that we are NOT talking about. We’re refering to the full grown humans reading this blog!
XOXO TM & AM